Monday, June 24, 2013

Common Scents

Is there anyone (in my generation) who did not start their perfume collection with this?
 
You can still find Love's Baby Soft at Walmart and a few other places. I wore this in junior high and early high school until I changed to my "mature" scent...
 
I wore White Shoulders my senior year of high school and the first few years of college. I still like this scent...it is flowery and fresh...but I have not worn it for over 20 years now.
 
Then I made a radical change and wore this...
 
This is a more sophisticated scent and I wore it in my early 20's to early 30's.
 
Enter Jo Malone....
 
I got a bottle of Jo Malone Honeysuckle & Jasmine Cologne for one of my birthday's in my 30's and I have been wearing this scent ever since. I LOVE it! The fragrance lasts all day, yet this cologne is not overpowering, and is fresh and flowery.
 
TRAUMA
Jo Malone discontinued this scent back in 2011.
Funny story...I was in Houston in the spring of 2011 and was shopping the Jo Malone counter at Neiman's to try and find a new scent since my bottle was almost gone. I mentioned to the woman at the counter how disappointed I was that Honeysuckle & Jasmine had been discontinued and she said
"Well today is your lucky day!"
Turns out she had ordered the last four bottles of Honeysuckle & Jasmine in all of Neiman's inventory for a customer over a month ago and the customer had never picked them up. The sales woman still had the perfume in the back! She offered them to me and I bought all four.
 
I am on my last bottle of those four...I am going to have to change my scent. I hate when cosmetic and fragrance companies discontinue products I love. I will probably stick with a new Jo Malone scent, and fortunately it is easier to find Jo Malone now than it used to be.
 
Here are the ones I am considering...
 
 
French Lime Blossom is described by Jo Malone as "The scent of sweet lime blossoms with a twist of bergamot and tarragon is evocative of the first day of spring." Jo Malone also makes bath oil, bath gel, body cream, and other goodies.

Orange Blossom is described by Jo Malone as "The scent of clementine leaves in the morning dew sparkles above a heart of orange blossom and water lily..."
 
One of the things Jo Malone encourages is The Art of Fragrance Combining, where you layer several different colognes. I have tried this in the store, but combining the scents was too powerful of a smell for me (and my allergies).
 
I know many people have several perfumes and wear different perfumes for different moods or occasions...I am a "one scent woman" and always have been. One reason I like this is because my kids associate my scent with me. I love it when my kids are cuddled in a blanket I was using and I hear one of them say "this smells like mom"...My mother wore Shalimar perfume when I was growing up, and to this day I think of her whenever I catch that scent when I am out and about.
 
Do you have one go-to fragrance?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 photo signature_zps0cbbee76.png

5 comments :

Gramspearls said...

I feel your pain. I started out with Tweed and then on to Ambush. I wore Mystere by Rochas for over 25 years and then they discontued it. It WAS me! I was devistated...I found a few bottles on eBay, but knew I was prolonging the inevitable. It took me a year to find my new fagrance and I love it....Vol de Nuit by Guerlain (made in 1934). Thank you, Guerlain for not discontinuing these amazing older fragrances.

Warmly, Kathleen

Simply LKJ said...

LOL...oh this brings back memories! I remember when they came out with the "knock offs" in high school....Primo (Giorgio) was a fave. I don't wear perfume often, but do love Chanel No. 5 and Philosophy's Amazing Grace.

ShelBeau said...

I keep coming back to L'Eau d'Issey by Issey Miyake -- described as a pure floral with musky and woody tones. A very complex fragrance, the Eau de Toilette is made up of a wide range of floral scents including lotus, cyclamen, freesia, carnations, and white lilies, with hints of amberseed and musk.

mary said...

Hey just came across your blog as I was listing my unused Jo Malone honeysuckle and jasmine cologne on eBay. I just listed it now if you are interested.

mary said...

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=181404211489&alt=web

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by Suburban Charm! I love to hear from my readers and appreciate your comments!

Christine