Sunday, June 23, 2013

Finishing Touches

In my opinion, putting the finishing touches on a room I'm decorating is the hardest part of the project.  I'm currently trying to finish my powder room, which is driving me crazy.

When I started my powder room project, I selected my wallpaper first...I know wallpaper is not "in style" right now, but I love wallpaper.  I decorate based what I like, not based on the current trend. My home tends to be decorated far more traditionally than most of my friends, and while I love some of the current trends and colors, they are just not "me".

I digress....
 
Thibaut has some of my favorite collections of wallpapers and fabrics. I think I am attracted to their rich and vibrant colors. Here is the wallpaper I selected for the powder room...

 This wallpaper is a golden yellow lattice pattern called Bay Head, from the Barbados Collection.
 
 
Here is the powder room "before"...

 
And here it is "almost " done...

 
Notice the light fixture (which had to be re-hung upside down so it would not hang over the new mirror)...it is the original one, and I can't find a new fixture I like.

Here is what I am looking at...
 
I love this pineapple light fixture, but am not totally sure that it's the look I want. I just can't find anything I like better.
 

Here is a horrible picture of the window, but I couldn't get the lighting right to show the new plantation shutter. The powder room is in the front of the house and I hated always having the blinds closed for privacy. Now I can leave the top open for light.


In addition to the light fixture, I also need to find a small rug. I don't want an oriental... I was thinking maybe a needlepoint rug or a wool hooked rug. I've been frequenting the consignment shops and have looked at Homegoods and several interior design shops with no luck. Considering it took me two years to find an oriental rug I liked for my foyer, I am not optimistic that I will be finding the perfect rug any time soon.
 
 
I also have to find bathroom accessories....tissue box cover, soap dispenser, and I have a towel ring in a "champagne bronze" ordered. I am ordering some monogrammed hand towels and also have my eye on these from Leotine in golden yellow.
 



 Finally, I need to find some framed prints for the walls....I am looking for some botanical prints with blues and greens in them. There are a few shops around town that may have what I am looking for...I haven't found a good source for botanical prints online...any suggestions?
 
What part of the decorating process do you find the most difficult?

 photo signature_zps0cbbee76.png

2 comments :

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Love your wallpaper!! I also did my powder room over in thibault too and love it!!!

ShelBeau said...

The two hardest parts for me are simply getting started (biting the bullet, so to speak) and, as you said, pulling it all together with the finishing touches.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by Suburban Charm! I love to hear from my readers and appreciate your comments!

Christine